Often in medical practice, one has to deal with cases when the patient cannot be diagnosed correctly. Usually, such patients are sent from one doctor to another in a circle, sent to more and more new tests, but the correct diagnosis cannot be made.
No matter how it may sound, but the lack of diagnosis is much better than a wrong diagnosis because in the latter case the patient is prescribed the improper treatment and will be treated, being sure that the symptoms will soon disappear, but in fact, they will get severe. Even worse, if the wrong symptomatic treatment temporarily reduces the severity of the manifestations and the patient will be sure that everything is going well and the longer he/she is “treated,” the worse the situation will be later, and the more aggressive and traumatic treatment will be required.
In the worst situations, the disease can become incurable, and the patient’s survival prognosis will fall from several decades to several months. Therefore, if such a situation arises, you should not go with the flow, and you need to begin to influence it actively urgently.
The Reasons why the Doctors Cannot Make the Right Diagnosis
The situation described above could be due to one or more of the following reasons:
1. The patient’s questioning was not given enough attention, there was no contact between the patient and the doctor, and during the conversation, the doctor did not reveal significant circumstances and details.
2. Low qualification of the doctor. It is important to understand that many people think that a young doctor is bad, because he/she has no experience and knowledge, and an elderly doctor is good, which is not true. The fact is that some older physicians often entirely cease to develop, study new methods, follow the research of diseases and, as a result, they are behind the times for many years, sometimes decades. For medicine, this is a catastrophic long term.
While a young doctor, if he/she graduates from a good university, can already get acquainted with modern medicine in the internship, read the latest clinical recommendations, research on the effectiveness of drugs, etc. However, young doctors have less experience and can make mistakes too.
3. The changes in the symptoms in recent years have led to the fact that some diseases have similar symptoms and it is not easy to distinguish them.
4. Errors in the laboratory and instrumental studies. Some clinics often have quite old equipment, which is responsible for inaccuracies. The same applies to laboratory equipment. Also, the results of the surveys can be influenced by how well the laboratory assistant, or, for example, if an ultrasound specialist did a skilled job. If the doctor receives incorrect blood test data or an ultrasound scan, it will be impossible to make a correct diagnosis, especially if these results conflict with other data.
5. Erroneous interpretation of research results. Often this can occur in cases where the doctor does not have enough experience in analyzing the results of MRI or CT scans, especially in the case of rare diseases.
What to Do?
The first thing you need to remember is that taking care of your health is primarily your responsibility. Therefore, if you understand that you are walking in a circle, begin to break this vicious circle and first of all get an alternative opinion.
To do this, refer to the results of tests and examinations to another doctor of the same profile. It is advisable to do this not in the same hospital because you can get into a situation wherein solidarity with a colleague a new doctor will only confirm the impossibility of making a diagnosis and the case will get worse. Refer to another clinic.
It is necessary that the doctor to whom you go for an alternative opinion has a higher qualification. To hope for a diagnosis from a less qualified specialist can be a way to nowhere. You can also ask to collect a medical commission. As a result of such a brainstorming, a correct diagnosis or the right direction to the search for such a determination can be born.
If the second doctor ordered you to repeat or do additional research, be sure to do them. It doesn’t matter that you already have. Going to another laboratory or an MRI scan may be logical. It will remove the influence of poor-quality equipment and lack of professionalism of workers.
The problem may be in a situation where you need to get a second opinion on the results of CT and MRI, and you live in a small town where there is merely no second specialist, and if there is, then his qualification is not higher than the first one.
Summarizing all the above, if the doctor cannot make a diagnosis, consider the following options:
• Do not stop at one conclusion, get the opinion of several similar doctors, preferably of different ages (because there is a difference in approach, principles, and methodology) and compare them.
• Take the opportunity to review your case by a medical board that exists at any clinic.
• If you are insured, do not miss the chance to resort to the help of the insurance company, the department of checking medical services provided specially for such situations.
• Report your case to the federal executive body responsible for the control and supervision of the healthcare system.
Your health is in your hands. Your salvation is only in your power. Be firm and patient, and your issue will not be left unresolved. The main thing is not to lose faith, to fight, to knock on all doors, to apply to all responsible services, and the chances of recovery will increase significantly.